Saturday, November 10, 2007

August 29, 2007

The last month has been one of prospective vision. There has been little structured training or volunteer work of any kind. However, that is not to say that this time away from the rigorous routine has not been productive. To the contrary, this short window away from training has given me a clarity not evident before the most recent reflection. Furthermore, my goals have become tempered and synchronized to my current state of mind. It is my intention for 2008 to be the harvest of decades of hard work, vision and strategy. It is difficult to peak once every year: the rare flower blooms when circumstances are in its favor. Our sport of Track and Field, for one, is of a quadrennial character, and as athletes and leaders we must mature at the moments of greatest opportunity.

Undoubtedly, the time has come: Carpi Diem.

During my time off from running I attended a blessed wedding in Trinidad California between college friends; an Afro-Cuban dance and drum camp in Arcata, CA; and an ORFF conference (the pedagogy of teaching music to children) in San Francisco. After the conference a friend from Belgium, Amandine, and I explored Marin, Mendocino where my parents live, Forks of Salmon--my childhood home, the Oregon Coast, Eugene where I now live, the McKenzie river, Mt. Hood watershed, the Gorge on the Columbia river and Portland. What a fantastic trip it has been. Now it is time to get back into the groove now that I am back home in Eugene.

I met with Coach Dick Brown yesterday and he has prepared a unique 21 day cycle of training for me to test my mind and body in the most dynamic and progressive way. Coach Brown is a scientist of sport and sage of competition. It is a delight to explore new regions of training.

Blessed day
Gabriel

No comments: