Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Unexpected Meeting

Arcata, California, December 26, 2007

Amory asked the Arena Warriors to reflect on an anecdote from our recent volunteer efforts. Here is my response:

Last week I accidentally fell upon my South team on an evening run along the Willamette river. Being just before Christmas break for the Eugene South cross-country teams, the kids have had an unstructured training regime. So, it was unexpectedly that I came across a handful of my athletes crossing the Knickerbocker bridge from the north as I was passing from the south. Going out on a leisurely recovery run myself, I was listening to sacred Cuban music on my ipod looking forward a gentle pace so that I might better take in the scenery due the closure of this calm, gentle and rarely dry winter afternoon. Yet, when I perceived Walker, our team leader, leading a hearty squadron of our varsity boys across the still wet bridge, the tenor of my run quickly changed as I made a sharp U-turn, so that I might take my natural place as the leader of this brave company. I hailed each boy as a comrade, and made an easy stride next to Walker. We quickly overtook the train tracks and made our way up the slight hill to the intersection of Franklin Blvd., the city's main artery, and the bike trail that leads directly to my house on E. 15th avenue. As the shadows grew long, and our pace quickened, I felt proud to have so quickly assumed the leadership of such a promising pack of young warriors. As the 4th place team in the State, by 3 points to third, and a recent 8th place at Nike Team Nationals, our team had already proven itself a contender for any title in the west. But more than athletic prowess, I admired the scholastic aptitude, intellectual prowess, eloquent manners, and general camaraderie of the boys. They are, indeed, a well rounded talented, ambitious group, of which running makes for only a portion of their character. As we passed my house and made for Haward Field five blocks away, the senior leaders, Ryan and Walker took charge: Ryan led the left flank with firm purpose, while Walker in the vanguard by 5 meters swept the right flank to the sidewalk, and I led the center birth. With a sharp quickening of pace upon reaching the threshold of the University, the William Knight Law school, the gates of Hayward, and MacArthur Court looming in the distance, we assumed a rank of couplets led by Walker and myself, perfectly matching stride in symmetrical rhythm. After another surge, the famous graveyard was upon us, where Oregon's first settlers are buried, 1834, and allies to the Union cause, 1860's; this graveyard, where legend has it, Pre himself made both many a solitary run, and a heated competitive fartlek all the same; for most of us, whether from Eugene or abroad, the graveyard remains the sole warm-up grounds for the many Track competitions hosted at Hayward Field each spring and summer. So not surprisingly, it was in the graveyard that our group started surging with fantastic energy. There is something within the dark gloominess of the place that strikes the spirit with fear and reverence. I set upon Walker, Ryan upon me, and Casey, Zach, Bryan and Simon keeping strongly in order to our rear; our breaths were now heaving in the mist. Finally, at the western end of the graveyard, where the school of Music takes its place, a saxophone or french horn can often be heard over the tombstones, raising the spirits to further heights, as the path suddenly becomes a stage, and the alleys thy orchestra. Even this evening without any musician present as the shadows grew large upon us, the distant cacophony could be heard from the practice rooms below, as we rounded the bend out of the trees, now on 18th avenue, only two blocks from South High School on 19th and Hilyard--the final sprint had begun--but, I would not remain, as I doubled back through the graveyard. I would let the kiddies fight this one out for themselves. I wished them a happy Solstice, merry Christmas and a happy New Year. We will see where I find them on my return. We will see who has been disciplined over the break and who has succumbed to sloth, who will be a casualty to injury, illness or neglect; while others will have drilled constantly, rested plentifully and gained the favor of the gods through their holiday celebrations and ceremony. Upon return, I will examine, assess, and direct the South harriers to my highest ability.

Gabe

No comments: