Sunday, October 26, 2008

We Are The Champions

Eugene, October 26, 2008

The ITA Eugene South Axemen destroyed their opponents yesterday at the District Cross Country Championships at Alton Baker park. It was one of my proudest moments as peer coach. All the kids ran their utter hearts out. We won the girls title 33 to 34 to South Medford. Sasha, Paige, Rachel, Nora, and Amelia ran beyond themselves with no room to spare. Congratulations! The boys won 43 to 49 to North Medford. Eamon, Scotty, Brian and Simon had clutch performances! All racing their best race of the season when it counted most. Both races were extremely close and exciting! It is ineffable for me to express how excited I am for both teams. I could hardly sleep last night replaying the races in my mind's eye. Next weekend we have the State Championships. Sammy is in contention for a State Title if he puts himself out there and tries to run away from the field at 2000m. Sasha is also in contention for a State Title, although she doesn't realize her potential, which makes it difficult to achieve high performance. Both teams have the opportunity to post impressive marks.

My grandma is also turning 80 years old this week and the whole family is throwing a huge party for her on Saturday. Congratulations Grandma! I am currently living with Grandma, and we are having a grand old time going to concerts, watching "Gone with the Wind," having dinners together and just being companions in general. Grandma is an inspiration to me. She was a virtuoso professional violinist in her day. May you live to see the century Grandma! I want you to train my kids (yet to be born (or conceived (I think?))) in Violin.

At the moment I am exhausted in runner's fatigue. That satisfying feeling where gravity sits you down and endorphins bubble up around your temple, impressing a sort of happy if dull bliss. The miles are logging up over 100 with 20 mile long runs. Fall is popping with yellows, reds, greens, and golds like never before.

Godspeed elfman!

Gabriel

1 comment:

Kate Whitcomb said...

Happy Birthday Grandma!
Thanks for the compliment Gabe, it came at a much-needed moment.

I had a similar South Sister experience, back when I lived in Bend. The weather can get pretty fierce up there, a dangerous opponent for an athlete's drive.

I am not quite sure which images you refer to, but you are welcome to any of them - again, thank you for the kind words!

Best, your teammate Kate