Sunday, November 23, 2008

Waldo Lake


Eugene, November 23, 2008


The intensity of my marathon training has reached a new level of understanding. I am starting to get shivers down my spine at the end of runs. I have not felt that satisfying sensation for 8 long years. For 8 long years I have been in the wilderness, numb to the joy of running. I just finished a 130 mile week! With a 24 mile long run! And Oh Lord does it feel good. Sometimes I just don't want to stop running, I feel immortal, like I could run for ever, one foot in front of the other. . .


This past weekend my friend Kelsey and I drove up toward Willamette Pass, past Oakridge to the Waldo Lake turn off. The difficulty became that at over 5,000 ft., the weather quickly turned to a blizzard, and the unplowed road had almost two feet of snow. I put chains on and we started up the 13 mile access road to Waldo Lake. (Waldo Lake is exactly 26 miles around, so in preparation for the trip in the warmth of my Eugene home I figured that with a 40 minute warmup Waldo would prove the perfect training ground for the CIM marathon in a little less than three weeks.) We made it about 5 miles up, when my little Toyota Tacoma pickup started spinning wheels in the ice up the steep grade, and it looked as if we were going to be stopped dead in our tracks. Luckily around the next bend we found a sort of flat turnaround. Utilizing all the muster of my little two wheel drive truck, and a few potently directed prayers, we were able to turn the rig around. I pulled the clutch into neutral, pulled the emergency brake and let motor run while the heater kept us warm; while Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana" was blaring from the stereo speakers and we debated our next move. Somehow I persuaded Kelsey to camp in the back of my truck with a soft topper shell for protection. So we unloaded the canoe, bike and gear and set up camp in back of the truck. Somehow I managed to get a pretty raging fire going, on top of two feet of snow in a blizzard, and we nuzzled as close as we could to the blaze keeping the immediately exposed portion of our body warm. With a thick foamy for padding, warm blankets and below zero sleeping bags we were able to keep surprisingly cosy through the night and the storm. The next morning I awoke at 4 am, put on my running clothes and sat in the cab with the heater on to get nice and toasty before my run. Luckily it had only snowed another couple inches in the night, and the sky was now crystal clear, as the stars sprang down to mother earth with that freezing clarity that burns a whole in one's soul!


My journey through the morning twilight was sublime! I made it to the virgin snow covered lake at dawn. I ran 24 miles, and snowshoed another 8 miles for a 5 hour expedition!


Thanksgiving day I am running a super elite 5K race in San Jose. . . CIM December 7. "The hay is in the barn" as Bill Bowerman liked to tell his athletes two weeks out from their peak championship race.


Godbless and Godspeed!


Gabe Jennings

5 comments:

Tim Broe said...

Gabe-I hope the training is going well. I am glad to read that you are finally getting some enjoyment out of running again! It is hard enough when you are on top of your game. Take care and best of luck.

tim broe

Torin Koos said...

Gabe - your writing is sometimes as good as chocolate cake after an epic Sunday LD.


"Ain't nothing new, the rent's due, and we're here to collect."
- John Carlos

Mike Hazle said...

Gabe, you are my modern day Forrest Gump...I can totally see you running for days on end without stopping.

I could see the look in your eye when you were here in Chula, it was the look of a man possessed by running and I cant think of a better fit for you! I dont know a thing about distance running, I just know the pain and solitude that comes with it while you are out there putting in the miles. I often times wonder what you could be thinking of when you go for a 24 mile training run, other than this hurts like hell!!!....jeesh!
Im impressed bro!

Start learning German now man, you will need it in August! See you in Berlin!

M++

D.R said...

Gabe,

You need to post more blogs. Looking forward to you running fast.

Kate Whitcomb said...

Gabe, 24 mile run + an 8-mile snowshoe? Only 5 hours? Holy smokes. It takes me about 4 to run 18 mountain miles and I couldn't imagine running a step further! We want more stories of your adventures, where did you go? Hope you are well and living it up!