Saturday, May 17, 2008

Districts

May 17, 2008

The Arena Axemen competed in Grants Pass today for the final day of competition in the Districts championships: qualifying for the Oregon State High School Championships May 22, 23, and 24th.

There were a lot of brilliant performances, but a few stand out in my mind from memory: 1,2,3 sweep in the boys 800m 1:57/1:58's: Casey Weinman, Walker Augustyniak, Brad Gissel: Walker took control from the gun, Casey surged with 230m to go, and brad finished well over the last 120m; 1,2,5 in the girls 800m 1:21: Sasha Teninty (sophomore), Rachel Bunting, and Nora Wilson (freshman): Sasha stalked the leader from the gun, sling-shotting past with 170m to go, while Rachel moved from mid-pack to third in the backstretch, challenging Sasha in the homestretch; 1,3 dominance in boys 1500m with a bold move by Sammy with 800m to go and a final quarter surge by Walker in 58 for a 4:06 and 4:09 respectively. The South girls dominated the 4 X 400m relay, victorious by 70 meters: lead-off Anna Persmark (frehman), Sasha Teninty, Lauren Opsal and Rachel Bunting (after winning the open 400m and second in the 800m).

I am excited for the State Championships next week! I would like to see some aggressive and confident running: fast and relaxed : : the sublime opposition. I believe we can win some titles. Hayward Field here we come! I am also competing myself on Saturday, May 24, in an elite 800m set up by Mr. Gagliano of the OTC elite Track Club with the intention of running the Olympic A standard: sub 1:46! We will race at around 1pm to start off the final day of the State Chapionships. It appears that I will be holding myself accountable to everything that I ask of my athletes. Do as I do!

God Bless and PUT YOUR HAND ON THE TORCH!

Gabe

No comments: