Friday, August 29, 2008

Habana Bound

Eugene, August 29, 2008

After a very busy summer I have finally settled at my Grandmother's house in Eugene just below Spencer's Butte. I arrived Monday and began running Tuesday; it is now Friday. Since the Trials I took almost 5 weeks of no running, which is probably the biggest break of my career. The time was well served, and I find my self eager to expand lungs and heart and grapple with demons. Today and continuing over the weekend I have a conference with Coach Tom Telez, Carl Lewis' coach, and my own Coach, Dick Brown. Coach Telez aims at helping me with my form so that I run with greater efficiency and power. Coach Brown and I are planning to run CIM marathon December 7 in Sacramento, while keeping sharp enough to time trial a 1:51 800m. As usual, the goal is ambitious considering my time frame, but there is nothing like the pressure of performance as a motivator.

After a brief rendezvous with the South Axemen at Elk Lake two weeks ago I will be fully integrated into the fall program this Monday with the start of school. Head Coach Jeff Hess is excited at the dedication and excitement on the team. The kids just finished two weeks of "daily doubles," meaning working out twice a day. I am kind of glad I missed daily doubles, because the kids would have surely destroyed me in my naked state, but now I am eager to begin anew. Our star senior, Sammy, is probably going to prove the perfect training partner while I make the adjustment back to fitness.

From August 16 to August 24 I was in Habana Cuba learning Afro-Cuban folkloric songs, drums and dance. The trip solidified my dance knowledge and made me realize how restless I continue to be. After making numerous connections in Cuba I am determined to live and train in Cuba over the next quadrennial. My fantasy is to garner a coaching position for the Cuban national team while I continue to train and learn music. The way I look at it: I was going to invest in graduate school--but, living, learning and giving in Cuba is a better education. However, there are numerous details that need to be worked out before my tentative departure this winter after the CIM marathon. Foremost, my contract with Saucony is up in December and I need to try to get a renewal. Secondly, visas for Cuba only last one month, so I need to find a way to get a work permit and gain citizenship. Thirdly, I need to set up a foreign bank account so that I can access my US dollars while in Cuba. There are no easy answers to any of these questions, and how my running will fit into this new vision. But one thing is for certain, life is exciting and full of promise!

Gabe

No comments: