Sunday, September 21, 2008

Mt. Jefferson

Eugene, September21, 2008

This past weekend I attempted to summit Mt. Jefferson from the Woodpecker Ridge trail head (on the south side of the mountain) with my friend Kelsey. Oregon's second largest mountain (at almost 11,000 ft) proved too much for us as we descended in defeat just below the top cliffs at around 9,000ft, flanked by glaciers, and strewn with treacherous scaly shale. Besides the difficult climb to the summit ahead and lack of provisions or gear (ice climbing crampons, ropes, harness, etc.) we were concerned at the loss of sun light (being 4pm), and our need to return to base camp on Woodpecker ridge before daylight closed her eyes and darkness blanketed the land. Although the mountain is supposed to be one of the most popular in the cascades, we did not see a soul our entire climb! The reason: the route we chose was absolutely mad: eroded hills without trail, glaciered river with crevices, impassable waterfalls and the final cliffs at the top. But beautiful! and Sublime! We made it safely back to base camp and spent most of the next day licking our wounds and recuperating at the glorious Britenbush hot springs, only 20 miles away from the mountain. Yesterday, not quite ready to return home we made a half-day canoe trip from Monroe to Corvallis, some 18 miles. The river was majestic, showing off her fall colors, while giant blue herons fished along the shore, and we even spotted a bald eagle! I am just not ready for summer to end, wanting to make the most of every remaining sunny day. Next weekend we are planning an overnighter via canoe at Waldo lake, and another dip in the North Umpqua hot springs, more single scotch at McMiniman's?

Training is coming along. I am starting to find my stride again since Coach Tom Telez visited last month to "correct" my form. I have been visualizing the push-off, extension, dropping my legs naturally in front of me (no lifting with the hip-flexers), running more flat-footed, while using the arms to control the tempo. Running is a meditation! There are no drills, weights, or other replacement for focused running. The goal is to let the body find its most natural rhythm, a sort of wheel that generates its own momentum by renewing energy. As training progresses the miles are going up and the tempos are speeding up. In preparing for this marathon, CIM, December 7, I am trusting the three simple components of 1. long runs, 2. long tempos and 3. long intervals to bring me to the finish line a champion. By following a simple program with proper recovery, and keeping my focus on form, maintaining the discipline to make running a priority first thing in the morning, I pray that I will achieve a higher power and unity in my running.

My ITA project with the South Axemen has been up and running for almost a month now. Once again I am finding the young athletes to be a huge motivator: the curiosity and freshness that a beginner brings to a discipline helps the veterans remember the purpose in our sport; in return the veterans offer experience, skill and wisdom. And so my approach this fall has been more of a peer than a coach, as I try to lead by example. As a student of dance I am often struck how dance is almost entirely an imitative art; we emulate the grace, rhythm and movements of the masters. I am taking this approach with running. As a master of my sport I want to be a model to be followed. I think there are too many fat coaches that exhort there athletes from the sidelines without knowing or feeling the pain, transcendence, focused form, courage and habitual discipline that it takes to be a champion. I want to lead champions!

Godbless and Godspeed!

Gabe

No comments: